See 07/18/2006 article on mlb.com: Trade Deadline 2006: On the Block? .
YANKEES, PLEASE DO NOT TRADE THESE PLAYERS!
- RHP Shawn Chacon Contract status: through 2006, Yankees. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, PLEEEEASE! Send him to Columbus — he never got his rehab starts. Tell him you’ll call him back in a couple weeks, and do it. Did you see him walking off by himself from the bullpen to the dugout after the middle CWS game last Saturday? A more miserable figure I have not seen since Weaver, and that was different. Sad, but different.
- RHP reliever Scott Proctor Contract status: through 2006 (not yet eligible for arbitration), Yankees. Mid-to-high 90s fastball, curve, 2-seamer. Last season, I was all up in arms, feeling Proctor was being misjudged as an unsuccessful reliever with a starter’s mentality. Hate to say it, but ever since he started late this season due to his baby daughter’s heart trouble, he has tossed strikes with a knifethrower’s precision. It’s almost as if he has faced the devil down and nothing will scare him now.
- OF Melky Cabrera Contract status: through 2006, Yankees. So much better at fielding than he was last year, when he visited from A-Staten Island, it is clear that he subsequently worked with someone who believes in him at AAA-Columbus. Also, he has hit in the clutch and generally substituted for Hideki Matsui with naive aplomb. With Sheffield and Matsui losing months to wrist injuries, and with Bernie Williams working part-time, he seems to have a spot now and in the near future. Sheffield and Williams may both be playing part-time next season.
YANKEES, PLEASE CONSIDER ACQUIRING 1 or 2 of THESE:
OF Aaron Rowand Contract status: through 2006, $3.5 million, Phillies He froze at the plate post-season last year, but we need temporary fielding.
- OF Jay Payton Contract status: through 2006, A’s. Cheaper than Rowand. Was a good Met.
- RHP reliever Joaquin Benoit Contract status: through 2006, Rangers
- RHP reliever Brad Hennessey Contract status: through 2006, Giants. In his third year, Hennessey’s ERA has dropped significantly, and he is pitching more often.
RHP Josh Fogg Contract status: through 2006, $850,000, Colorado. He needs work, but I like him.
- LHP reliever Rheal Cormier. Contract status: through 2006, option for ’07. $2.5 million, Phillies. I know I like him, but it seems every time I look that he loses it. Still, I find him worth more than that look.