ON OUR INABILITY TO HIT OFF CONTRERAS:
- Derek Jeter offered insight:
“The thing that was different was his arm angle; he was throwing a little more sidearm than when he was with us,” Jeter said. “That caused his fastball to move a little more. Maybe he learned it from [Orlando Hernandez].”
“I’m sure he wasn’t happy with the way he performed all the time here, but it’s not surprising,” said Derek Jeter. “He’s got great stuff and throws hard. We couldn’t get anything going against him.”
- So did Contreras:
“When you’re on a team for a year and a half, you get to see players every day,” Contreras said. “I tried to exploit their weaknesses — whatever I saw while I was there. The results speak for themselves.”
- In a way, so did Joe Torre:
“We know he’s capable,” Torre said. “He threw a lot of strikes and his pitch count was real good. If there is a question mark on him, it’s his command of his stuff, but tonight, he had that command.”
- Did Mel Stottlemyre?
Appreciation to MLB.com writer Mark Feinsand for recording these quotations in his article “Chacon solid, but Yankees fall short: A-Rod’s 33rd home run not enough against White Sox.” Published 08/10/2005 1:19 AM ET at this address: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20050809&content_id=1163777&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy
ADDITION 3/30/08: NOTE FEINSAND’s TITLE (above) STARTS “CHACON SOLID BUT…” from Aug 9, 2005.
ON TINO MARTINEZ STILL GETTING KEY HITS
- He is. And you should hear the crowd as soon as he walks toward the plate. In the Yankee Rally started by the sound man in the bottom of the 9th, Tino hit a sharp bouncing line drive between first and second, allowing him time to get to first and moving up Tony Womack, who also had a good night. If only, if only,… Poor Bernie tried to follow-up by snapping into his zen thing on short notice — and he did hit a liner — but it went right to first baseman Paul Konerko. Oh, well. But that would have been COOL.
ON WHY WE GAVE UP RELIEVER DAMASCO MARTE
- For Enrique Wilson. That’s right. Not that I don’t love Enrique.
- Can we buy him back? He’s a bit Benitez-like, but I never had a problem with him.
- Is Cliff Politte available?